Sunday, September 30, 2007

The Neighbor

It was Nice New Guy and then Nutty; so I thought well what the hell, maybe I can try my hand as well...
____________________________________________________________

"Have you seen the movie?"
The Q was innocuous and out of the blue. I wasnt sure I was the one who was addressed in it; so at first I ignored it. Then she asked me again and this time all eyes were on me.
So just out of the fact that everyone expected me to say "Yes I have and dont want to see it again" I said well, "No, would you like to go for it?"
And she said "Yes; weekends fine with you?" and I said, "Yeah sure"
Ok a little bit of background ... she is THE single most hotty in town but at the same time a sweet old girl; old because well she is 5 yrs my senior and happens to be my sister's groups' heart-throb. And she is a neighbor, living in the big bungalow next to mine.
Me, I am a lazy sod who spends most of his time in the gym and the remaining in books; so not the actual "find" for this girl.

Anyways; so she and I go for the movie and she pays for her part and says we should do this again and I go "yeah whatever"; thinking thats that!
After a few days, I am again with my sister's group skipping thru the CDs in the room and she comes over and makes small talk. I get a little bugged; quite bugged because she wants to talk and I have nothing to talk about.
All I can talk about is what weight I lift and history; neither makes interesting conversation.
But she being her, is nice and wants to chat.
Again all eyes are on me not to offer her a drink and get 1 myself; so going against consensus, I do just that. And we start chatting.
I realise she knows something about World War II and I suddenly get into an agitated argument with her on why Patton was way better than Montgomery and being abusive; say a few "fukks and bullshit" along the way.
She gets annoyed and walks out; and I am like "yeah whatever".

But I want to talk to her; thats the first time I have wanted to be with someone and for the first have needed someone to say "I want to talk with you"
But alas not happening tonight...

The winter is on and I like reading my books in the sun: One day she walks over from her home and says, "I have been sitting watching you for the last few days and you know I have been watching you so why didnt you say hi or anything". And I go blank, as a defence I say; "Well yeah whatever"
"Is that your favorite word?" and I swung back, "Used to be" and as adjoiner say, "So how is Ravi?" (hoping to quell any further conversation, for I know they have broken up)
She gives a bad look and walks off and I go back to my reading.
Again comes the feeling and this time I say, "Hey babes, I know about Ravi; so what happened?"

The conversation picks up and soon we spend a lot of time with each other; out for walks and going for movies and kidding each other.
She gets a few funny comments (about spending time with a sod like me); some from my sister as well but she is ok about it; no one messes with me for I am known to be short of temper and a bit of a bully.
So the time spent together goes unabated.

Then one day she introduces me to someone who her parents want her to get married to; she asks me what I think of him and I say, "Well, he does remind me of a rat".
After that I stop meeting her and time comes for me to move out of my city as I have got a job elsewhere. We had not met since the above incident; I had got back to my books and weights and she to her earlier group.
My sister insists that I go meet her once before I leave and against all in my brain, I go.
My first line is, "So what happened to the guy?" and she says, "He looked like a rat"

We laughed; its been 6 years since that and both of us are still single.

"My eyes seek reality; My fingers seek my veins"

13 comments:

nutty said...

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!

thats such a nice story!!! much nicer than my sordid one!

You know I could start liking this habit of being the first one to comment on your blog :)

take care buddy!

Anshul said...

good hai!
glad you liked it; I liked yours'; in the middle I thought it was a bit about you yourself; but then yeah the murder changed it, or maybe it signified that you ended the relationship.

After a long time I went to a circus last evening in HK; man! better than getting drunk I must say.
Though I did get drunk after that!

Zee said...

is this fiction??? :)

Cool said...

Interesting!!!!
i like the last part of you both being single 'still'..... fingers crossed....

Anshul said...

write a simple story and expect your friends to complicate it.
MAN!!

Sirpy said...

"She gives a bad look and walks off. Again comes the feeling, and this time I say..."

If she has walked off, the hero is apparently asking the same question to thin air. Or is the 'feeling' a metaphor for her..?

Anshul said...

* Sirpy its a story take it whichever way you want to.
but my meaning was that the "hero" got the feeling of not wanting to see her go.
Cheers!

nutty said...

ha ha ha! no no it had nothing to do with me at all except I too have a sprained ankle so was able to describe that part pretty accurately :P

you didn't answer zee's question tho ... is your story really fiction?
:D

Anshul said...

*Nutty, either you are up pretty late or I am up pretty early; what time is it there; its 4:30am here
* Zeeks Qs are worse than my mom's; aise stories should take time to render out. ;-)

Nice New Guy said...

Nice. I loved the way that relationship 'grew' slowly.

Good post. Write more. :)

Zee said...

biatch

Anshul said...

Zeeks; language sweetheart!
After all at your age you should be a mum! hahahahhah; I am SO not meeting you when I get to Delhi (to avoid being killed)

Anshul said...

and by the way its biiacch!