Tuesday, April 29, 2008

I love rags to riches stories

I have always been very moved when I hear of someone (related or not) really make it big in life (s/he doesnt have to be a known personality), but has just become big after starting from humble beginnings.
Last night I was watching a movie called The Invincible, its a true life story about Vince Papale (a bartender becoming American Football's oldest "rookie). After that I was discussing it with a friend and she rightfully pointed that there can be enough examples to highlight w/o they being celebreties.
In my office alone; I have very senior colleagues who have been (individually) life guard, someone who had to borrow money to buy a suit for his interview, an orphan at the age of 12 (in fact my dad was 1 at the age of 7 and I am so proud of him), and the list is endless. Among my friends I have enough examples of ordinary guys going thru tough times and coming out of it winning.
And it makes you wonder, these guys all started from such humble and in a few cases far below humble backgrounds and just stuck to it.
In fact more on the above discussion (the 1 with my friend), we also conversed on how every one worth his/her salt works for 12 hours at least but not every one makes the same amount of money and that is not a matter of chance (of course luck plays a role) but more to it; it has to also do with what choices we make.
Our choices define us and these need to be made thinking 5 years ahead and not what job and money am I getting right now. Sadly so many of us get caught in that shit and then cant get out of it.
There are so many of us (me included) who just get stuck to shitty things like "oh where am I headed" and "why does this happen to me" when what we need to focus on is just to say fukk it and move on with life.
Self pity is worth that only ... get over it before you get under it.
In short money aint everything; if you love what you do, you are already far richer. That doesnt mean you become satisfied with what you are; but yeah grow.
Life is good and it always gets better.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hola! I wish I could've met you on your trip to Bombay but I just couldn't travel thanks to my growing proportions! Btw, I love the Philly Eagles, though personally I am a strong supporter of the Steelers and Giants! I love the game and this year the only live match was the superbowl, not even the championship titles. Anyways, IPL is generating lots of hype these days.

Umm, I think self-pity is a phase we go through, usually emerge stronger. Some snap out quicker than others, but it is upto each person to fix how much they can put up with a "self-piteous" friend. And yes, these inspiring stories do make a difference atleast to me, I feel stronger and motivated.

Cheerz
- Maiden

Zee said...

abhinav should be tagged to this blog!

nutty said...

waah waah! you're being philosophical n all? kya baat hai! nice! nice!

I agree with you to a large extent...our choices, our attitude to failure and our luck .. alll 3 play critical roles in our future .. and yes ... loving what you do is infinitely more important than the money you make!

how was your trip home?? mine rushed by way too fast :(

B said...

I agree self pity sucks after a certain point of time..u just gotta pull urself by the bootstraps and move on to bigger things..I like this thot I read abt life and success-
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

new female beastiality stories said...

Ill see you then. But Lee wasnt the only one enchanted with the experience.
sexy little sister naked incest stories
black lesbian sex stories
superhero gay sex stories
gay and monks sex stories
femdom mommy stories
Ill see you then. But Lee wasnt the only one enchanted with the experience.