Friday, June 22, 2007

A "tourist" in NY? Not quite

Didnt see Ground Zero/Statue of Liberty/Empire State Building/Met Museum; all I did was ran in the Grand Central Park (twice)

On Saturday night I was sleeping @ 9; on Sunday I was sleeping @ 10
Only on Friday night and Monday nights did I venture out and that too was limited as next mornings I had meetings lined up.

Met Ruchi there and surprise surprise she joined in with a screwdriver for my beer.
But NY is a city I have fallen in love with; beautiful charachter and amazing exuberance the city entails in itself; you have pretty modern looking buildings highlighted against old buildings and pretty traditional looking streets.

What was really amazing (perhaps because that was the only place that I could spend time) was Central Park; those who have been to it will know; beautiful place; lush green with a lot of variety of interesting activities besides just normal running and cycling were on (and nothing sleazy)
NY has in the last 10 yrs really improved on crime thanks to the broken window syndrome and another theory relaitng to abortion; so like the 2 nights when I did manage to get out; I felt pretty safe even though I returned back pretty late or early as you want to see it.
Actually post being in HK; you really dont think twice about late nights; but one of hte nights just a block away from the hotel; I saw like 10/12 guys hanging around and I was like shit!

Hmm; what else ... HK is definitely faster than NY no Qs about it; but I loved the life of NY; work is forgotten post 6pm and ppl actually leave then; think its an Asian phenomena where ppl stay late!
Apart from that; frankly not much to write about; I was there for 8 days; wherein I had some 45/50 meetings besides the conference we had organised; so it wasnt a fun trip.
The only good part was though; that on hte way back we stopped in LA for 6 hours (had a meeting) and called up hte client and actually asked him if he would mind if we come to th emeeting post afew beers; thankfullt they were cool about it; so we just used the opportunity and had a few draughts sitting at the beach (though with our jackets in tow!)

Anyways; New York, I will see you soon again and just might do the touristy thing.

Cheers!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

hey globetrotter you sure seem to be having a blast!!! Can't believe Ruchi joined you with a screw driver...not bad at all...have fun.

Zee said...

Yes yes we trained ruchi very well!!! :D We are proud of her! Go ruchi go!

Send some photos......

Cool said...

not going out late at night cos you have work tomorrow, not believable....

Anshul said...

nahin yaar Cool; itni meetings thi ki you can afford to screw up.
Chaits .. next time with you!

nutty said...

sounds like u really got to know NYC .. I loved all of it too.. been there thrice and done most of the tourist things as well as the local stuff like understanding the maze of subways!

AH! but so many layers to the city it would be impossible to know it all without living there for a while.

LA - beer on the beach! been here 2 yrs and I haven't done that yet! Whaddya know!

CandidConfessions said...

In the past 6 months Iv been to NY several times - owing to my friends! But NY still captivates me much the same everytime I go there! And as far as not going out the nights in NY - All I say is - U gotta do it! :)